Frida Kahlo (July 6, 1907 – July 13, 1954)

Bookmark and Share
                                                                                          
Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird
1940

It's difficult to write about Frida Kahlo, because her tragic life has been romanticized and scandalized to such proportions that her biography has exceeded, to a certain extent, her work in repute. So instead let me talk briefly about her work: as you stare into Kahlo's paintings, you'll notice that she tended to depict and focus on herself; but why? "I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best." And a lot of her work is lonely and tragic and very much more a substantial statement on her thoughts than tabloid stories on her life. Though she had quite an exciting life ... 

What I Saw in the Water
1938

My Nurse and I
1937

Two Nudes in the Wool
1939

Self-Portrait
1948