Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec (November 24, 1864 – September 9, 1901)

Bookmark and Share
                                                                                                  
Cuirassier
1881

Toulouse-Lautrec is one of my favorite painters. And when I stare at his paintings, I lose the ability to really comment on them. I can only say that he creates a life within his works that transmutes emotions and characters in aeternum. As for Lautrec, his life was terrible one: he was off a stunted height, because of a childhood injury and illness, standing at 5'0"; he was constantly mocked for his appearance, which turned him to alcohol; and at 36 he died from the dual effects of alcoholism and syphilis (a while ago I read that he might not have had syphilis, because a possible deformity of his genitals would have made him unable to fornicate–but I'm not sure if this theory is still in vogue). Anyway, his life, though fecund in artistic talent, was terribly barren of happiness.

Marcelle Lender Dancing the Bolero in "Chilpéric"
1896

Margot
1881

The series of works below is one of my favorites of all artists, and illustrates so well that unparalleled way in which Henri could capture the romance of a situation.

The Kiss
1892

In Bed - The Kiss
1892

In Bed
1892

In Bed
1892